© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
ABBOTS LEIGH, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
04 November 2000
11 October 1961
Date of last amendment:
11 October 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH CHURCH ROAD (north-west side)
4/3 Holy Trinity Church
Parish Church (Anglican). C15; restored and partially rebuilt after a fire in
1847-48. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and
vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof to nave, double
Roman tiles to chancel. All in a Perpendicular style. West tower: 3 stages
with diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with plain pinnacles; polygonal
stair tower with spirelet projects at north-east corner; 2-light bell chamber
opening, 4-light west window; west door under hood mould with carved head stops.
North and south aisles: embattled parapets; 2-light windows with cusped heads to
tracery. Gabled projecting south porch. Chancel: 3-light east window as
south window. Interior. South doorway has moulded surround with fleurons.
3 bay north and south arcades: the south one has piers of engaged shafts
alternating with four hollows, 4-centred arches; the north one is C19. Plain
chancel arch. The tower arch has a chamfered outer order and a wave moulded
inner order. Mid C19 nave roof of arch-braced collar beam trusses and 3 tiers
of cusped windbraces; 6-light dormer windows. Early C19 ribbed roof to chancel.
Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C19, in a perpendicular style;
ashlar, octagonal. Monuments. Tower: Miles funeral hatchment; P.J. Miles,
died 1845, by E.H. Bailey, marble neo-classical monument with an inscribed plinth
on brackets, and 2 female mourners (one seated) which flank a draped vase on a
pedestal bearing the Miles arms. Nave: Francis Short, died 1853 by Tyley of
Bristol, urn on a pedestal and a female mourning figure. South aisle: Mark
Davis, died 1783, marble plaque with bowed ends and swan neck pediment; six-
poster late C16 ashlar tomb, thought-to be Lady Jane Norton (no figure) fluted
Ionic columns, fluted frieze with segmental pediment and arms. Chancel: Sir
George Norton, died 1715, marble baroque inscribed plaque flanked by Corinthian
columns which support a plain entablature, surmounted by concave sided pediment,
side volutes rest on a plinth which has portrait medallions. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).