You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33445  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 33445
Location: CHELVEY COURT AND BRIDGE TO THE EAST AND 2 OUTBUILDINGS TO THE SOUTH WEST,
  BROCKLEY, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 September 2000
Date listed: 16 March 1984
Date of last amendment: 16 March 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 46 NEBROCKLEYCHELVEY (north side)6/53Chelvey Court and Bridge to theeast and 2 Outbuildings to theG.V.south-west- -

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY CHELVEY (north side) 6/53 Chelvey Court and Bridge to the east and 2 Outbuildings to the G.V. south-west - - II* Large manor or court house. Circa 1618 to 1660 for Edward and John Tynte; altered (the south part demolished) in 1805. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, pantiled roof, hipped at south end behind a coped parapet. L-plan with north wing. 3 storeys and attics. East elevation. 4 bays: 2-light casement windows, French windows on the ground floor; large central buttress with off-sets (all 1805). To the left of the buttress on the ground floor is a panelled door in a chamfered surround with a segmental head; moulded cornice on brackets. On the first floor at the far left is a projecting, square ashlar porch with an elaborate openwork balustrade; panelled door in moulded surround with imposts and a depressed 4-centred head; frieze of roses; one twisted column survives to the left; open segmental pediment with, in the tympanum, the arms of John Tynte on a cartouche and flanked by bunches of fruit; the pediment is flanked by tapering pilasters; all in a mannerist fashion. The porch is reached by a single arched rubble bridge, approximately 3-4 yards long. North elevation is irregular with 2 gables and a mixture of single, 2- and 3-light casement windows with ovolo moulded mullions and under dripmoulds. The west elevation is irregular of 5 bays with 2- and 3-light casement and cross windows (some blocked) with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds, under dripmoulds and relieving arches. The outbuildings to the south-west consist of the remains of a square, rubble tower with a single light window in a moulded surround; and an adjoining building which has a chamfered doorway with a segmental head under a dripstone, in the gable end. Interior. Throughout the building are fragments of C17 panelling and doors. Ground floor: rear (west) living room (formerly a kitchen) has a panelled fire surround with a 6-row spit rack above, against the south wall is a bench table with a moulded cornice and resting on chamfered, square uprights; the central front (east) room has a moulded ashlar fire surround with a 4-centred head and an arched ashlar doorway with a keystone and imposts, large studded and panelled door. First floor: the inner door is panelled and has a moulded surround with a 4-centred head; the Blue- Room (centre east) has grained and painted panelling with a bead and reel edging which retains traces of gilding, large painted ashlar fireplace with a 4-centred head, a frieze of strapwork, lozenges within squares and circles, a dentilled cornice on brackets and an overmantel bearing the Tynte and Gorges arms; to the right (north) of the Blue Room is a bedroom which has panelled surrounds to the windows, as in the Blue Room but now overpainted, a central oval ceiling panel which is embellished with foliage and painted and gilded,and an ashlar fireplace with a moulded surround and a 4-centred head. The top floor has 2 further, similar fireplaces, some panelled doors and a coved cornice in one room. Large open well staircase rises through the 3 floors: turned balusters moulded closed string and moulded handrails, panelled newel posts with ball finials; the ceiling has a large plaster pendant ornamented with foliage and fruit and it is surrounded by a ribbed rosette with flower and thistle motifs. (Country Life, 21.V.1910. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.