You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335866  

Print Page



©  Paul Eggleston

IoE Number: 335866
Location: BEDGREAVE MILL, MANSFIELD ROAD (west off)
  WALES, ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Paul Eggleston
Date Photographed: 01 September 2001
Date listed: 05 December 1975
Date of last amendment: 15 October 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALESMANSFIELD ROADSK48SE(west side, off)Wales Bar4/115Bedgreave New Mill

WALES MANSFIELD ROAD SK48SE (west side, off) Wales Bar 4/115 Bedgreave New Mill 5.12.75 (formerly listed as Bedgreave Mill) GV II Corn mill now visitors' centre to country park. Probably mid-late C18, later addition of engine house, restored and partly reconstructed c1982. Rubble and ashlar sandstone, gables rebuilt in brick; C20 pantile roof. T-shaped plan with mill forming cross-wing on left, lower range (now cafeteria) on right with later engine house in rear angle. Mill: 2 storeys with loft, 2 windows and door to 1st floor. Large quoins. Ground floor has boarded door in bonded surround flanked by C20 casements with small panes and thick glazing bars in square-faced surrounds. 1st floor: wooden-framed door flanked by windows as below. Wooden- linteled casement to brick gable which has shaped kneelers and renewed ashlar copings. Range on right: single-storey. Large, quoined waggon entrance on left has boarded infill with part-glazed double doors, 4 part-glazed doors and one casement on right all beneath plain lintels. Rear: brick 1-storey engine house has separate roof. Interior: late-C19 machinery in bagging room of mill (in cross-wing) - gearing and vertical shafts to 2 sets of millstones on 1st floor, horizontal screw conveyor takes produce to a bagging point. A new mill pond is recorded in the enclosure award of 1768 which may also be the date of the New Mill. Originally driven by water power until converted to steam c1886 following seepage from the mill race into mine workings. The remaining machinery indicates a final use as a provender mill prior to closure in 1947. Focal point of this important mill group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.