You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33616  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 33616
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE
  HUTTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 08 August 2006
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 35 NEHUTTON C.P.CHURCH LANE5/7Church of Saint Mary the Virgin9.2.61G.V.II*

ST 35 NE HUTTON C.P. CHURCH LANE 5/7 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin 9.2.61 G.V. II* Anglican Parish Church. C15, major extension and restoration 1849 by S.C. Fripp. Coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north vestry, south aisle. All Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with plinth, diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed finials, polygonal stair turret at south east; first stage has C15, plank west door in richly moulded four-centered arch under drip with angel stops below 3-light window; at second stage, blank 2-light openings with grotesque stops, except east, no opening, at north, string is broken by clock of 1887; third stage, each face has paired 2-light windows to bell chamber, outer light blank, inner crocketed finials; gargoyles and a trefoil pierced parapet; stair turret has cusped panels and is surmounted by a hexagonal spirelet. 2-bay nave has 3-light windows between buttresses, at east a polygonal, battlemented rood stair turret has one tiny quatrefoil light, at gable head sits a sanctus bell cote of C15 work, but reset. Gabled chancel of 1849 has 3-light east window and two 2-light windows to south, on either side of a plain priest's door, all under a continuous string. Similar north vestry of 1870 has a 2-light east window and cusped lancets to north and west. 3-bay, gabled south aisle, also 1849, sits between 2 buttresses of original south wall and has 3 three-light windows; in east gable a C15 canopied niche is reset. Interior: tall, moulded tower arch of waves and hollows rises to a lierne tracery vault on angel corbels, there is a C19 screen with mock linenfold. Nave has a Wagon roof with decorated wall plate and bosses, remains of rood stair openings now house stairs to refixed stone pulpit of the local school-corbelled with friezes from a narrow stem, each panel has 2 cusped lights, separated by crocketed finials, all surmounted by 2 further floreate friezes. The wave and step moulded C15 chancel arch enters work of 1849 with wagon roof and wide north arch into vestry to house organ, there is a reset C16 niche, tudor arch with cusped panels in the soffit and decorated spandrels, now housing damaged mural brass to the Payne family, 1528. South aisle has a 3-bay arcade, octagonal piers with attached shafts. Glass: East window in nave has fragments of C15 and later heraldic glass, remainder is victorian and later. Fittings: simple, octagonal font of late date, low, plain box pews of 1785 in north nave, stone reredos, between crocketed and canopied niches, of 1858. Tablets: south aisle, marble and slate, with crown bearing arms, family effigies, Nathaniel Still, 1626; chest tomb on dark ground, Watson 1833, by Wheeler, Gloucester; chancel, all slate lozenge, flanked by naive columns, above, an hourglass, below, cherubs and a skull, Robert Willis, 1719; south chancel wall, freestone, ogee headed moulded canopy, marble tablet with urn on dark ground to J. Smith, Rector, 1825, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol. Sources: Coward, 'The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Hutton'. n.d. N. Pevsner. 'The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.