You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33851  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Evans LRPS

IoE Number: 33851
Location: YATTON STATION BUILDINGS AND FOOTBRIDGE, STATION ROAD (south east side)
  YATTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Derek Evans LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 August 2000
Date listed: 20 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

YATTON C.P.STATION ROAD (south east side)ST 46 NW5/188Yatton Station Buildings andFootbridge-II

YATTON C.P. STATION ROAD (south east side) ST 46 NW 5/188 Yatton Station Buildings and Footbridge - II 2 station buildings, north of line Booking Office and Waiting Room, south of line associated offices, footbridge linking the buildings across the line. 1841, footbridge c.1870 with some later alterations. By I.K. Brunel who was engineer to Bristol and Exeter Company. Coursed rubble with limestone dressings, north building has hipped slate roof with stacks to sides, asbestos roof to south; cast iron Tudor Gothic style. Single storey south building has 1/2-glazed door with panelled lower part and 4-pane sash to right in one chamfered stone surround, two 4-centred arched doors, one to left to former waiting room, panelled and glazed door to left and 4-panelled door to right, 4-pane sash to right of left door, all doors have broach stops to surrounds, 2 single lights to right in chamfered surround; limestone plinth and quoins, 2 courses of ashlar under eaves; canopy over platform supported on cast iron pierced arched-braces, canopy extended further 3 bays to left, supported on 2 cast iron piers. Left return has 4-pane sash; right return has chamfered door opening. Rear has 2 paired single lights to left, 4-pane sash to right, single storey wooden addition with 4-pane sash to left side and rear, blocked window to right. Single storey north building has 3 similar 4-centred arched door openings, Ladies Room with 1/2-glazed and panelled door, Waiting Room has door with raised fillets and inset glass panel, Booking Office has door with raised fillets; 2nd bay from left has mullion and transom window, chamfered, in chamfered limestone surround, 2 bays broken forward to right with Waiting Room door and bay in limestone ashlar with 6-light similar mullion and transom window; VR post box set in wall to right of Booking Office door, wall extended at tower level to far right and curved round concealing WC entrance; very deep eaves canopy supported on similar cast brackets. Left return has small 4-pane light; rear has single light and door with 4-centred arch, raised fillets, both chamfered surrounds, to left; wall stepped forward to right with similar 6-light mullion and transom window and similar 4-centred arched door with raised fillets and inset glass panel, end bay to right set forward with 2-light casement in chamfered surround. Interior: panelled walls in Waiting Room, fireplace on rear wall blocked, round-arched opening in moulded surround (blocked) to Ticket Office, cornice; panelling in Ticket Office. Footbridge to east has flight of C20 steps to each side, bridge supported on 4 fine cast iron columns with raised ornament to base and top, leaf capitals, cast iron bridge of 4 bays, span about 15 metres, supports for canopy over footway, canopy missing. Yatton Station was opened 14th June 1841 as Clevedon Road on Bristol and Exeter Railway, renamed Yatton on 28th July 1847 at opening of branch to Clevedon; on 3rd August 1869 also became junction for new line to Cheddar and Wells. (Sources: Oakley, M. : Railways in Avon 1983).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.