You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 338838  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 338838
Location: HARLEY HEAD FARMHOUSE, 206 -216 HALIFAX ROAD (off)
  BRIGHOUSE, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 28 December 2002
Date listed: 02 December 1983
Date of last amendment: 02 December 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGfIOUSEHALIFAX ROAD (OFF)SE 12 SW3/104Nos. 206 to 21..6 (even)(Harley Head Farmhouse)

BRIGfIOUSE HALIFAX ROAD (OFF) SE 12 SW 3/104 Nos. 206 to 21..6 (even) (Harley Head Farmhouse) II Row of cottages formerly an early C18 house of L shape to which was added 4 more bays to the left hand end in the late C18 or early C19. Thin coursed rubble stone, white washed, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Original house of hall and cross-wing plan. Cross-wing hipped to south gabled to north. South front of original house of 3 bays each retaining chamfered mullioned windows with square reveals of 3 large lights the centre of which is sashed. 2 inserted doorways with thin monolithic jambs. Over all is long hoodmould partly mutilated by inserted doorways. 1st floor has one similar window and other sashed windows. One stack to left hand gable, one other at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays. Right hand return wall has 2-light similar window to 1st floor. Rear has single storey outshot flush with cross-wing which retains chamfered mullioned windows with square reveals now of 3 large lights with hoodmoulds to both floors. This elevation is rendered. One other similar window to aisle. Attached with lower roofline are 3 bays which retain flat faced mullioned windows of 3 lights to each bay. One stack to ridge. During the period 1839 to 1887 the Brighouse Council offices were housed here, prior to the construction of the municipal offices in the Town Hall in Brighouse (q.v.) in 1887.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.