You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 338902  

Print Page

© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 338902
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 23 October 2003
Date listed: 02 December 1983
Date of last amendment: 02 December 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHOUSESPOUTHOUSE LANESE 12 SW3/165Nos. 4, 6 and 8 (Ivy HouseFarm)

BRIGHOUSE SPOUTHOUSE LANE SE 12 SW 3/165 Nos. 4, 6 and 8 (Ivy House Farm) II House. Initialled and dated 'TYR 1713' over doorway. Double pile on plan under one roof. Front forms one dwelling, 2 others to rear. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. South-east front has 3 room plan of 3 bays. Reads from left; C19 doorway with monolithic jambs. All are recessed chamfered mullioned windows of 5 lights with square reveals to both floors in 1st 2 bays with inserted window of 2 lights to 1st floor between windows. Drip course continues over ground floor windows of 1st 2 bays and over main entry door to right hand of 2nd bay which has doorway with plain composite jambs and inscribed lintel. Drip course terminates at junction of 3rd bay which has late C18 detail; doorway with monolithic jambs and thin flat faced mullioned windows of 4 lights to each floor. Quoins to left hand only which has coped gable with kneelers and large stack. 2 other stacks, at junction of bays. Originally this elevation indicates that the house was originally of 2 cells with gable stacks and a central stack with an added extra room in the later C18 to the right hand end. Left hand return wall is blind (rendered). Right hand return wall has single storey lean-to, an arched attic light (solid) and 2 single light windows to ground floor, one of which is sashed with 12 panes. The other has chamfered surround and hoodmould with straight return in the rear half of the pile which is rendered. This is the only C17 window and may indicate an earlier building on the site or be re-used. Long sloping cat slide roof to rear which is L shaped formed by late C18 extension to main range which has flat faced mullioned windows of 4 lights to each floor and doorway with monolithic jambs. Set back is main range which has recessed flat faced mullioned windows with square reveals of 3 lights and 4 lights with inserted C19 doorway with monolithic jambs to ground floor. Over is remains of drip course and 2 flat faced mullioned windows of 3 lights. Ivy House Farm was licensed c.1796 for Wesleyan services the then home of John Sharp. It once had an engraved window inscribed: 'Peace be on this house bestowed: Peace on all that here reside. Let the unknown peace of God With the man of peace abide, - Nov. 4, 1807' (The Brighouse Echo, February 6, 1970).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.