You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33896  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Bassingham

IoE Number: 33896
Location: BLAGDON PUMPING STATION, BLAGDON LANE (west side)
  BLAGDON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Bassingham
Date Photographed: 31 May 2002
Date listed: 19 January 1987
Date of last amendment: 19 January 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SW andBLAGDON C.P.BLAGDON LANE (west side)ST 55 NW6/28 and 10/28Blagdon Pumping Station

ST 56 SW and BLAGDON C.P. BLAGDON LANE (west side) ST 55 NW 6/28 and 10/28 Blagdon Pumping Station II Pumping Station. Dated 1902-5 (on commemoration plaque on central chimney) by engineers T. and C. Hawksley. Beam engines erected by Glenfield and Kennedy of Kilmarnock. 2 engines in right-hand engine house removed 1949. Brick with ashlar dressings and quoins, plain tile roofs. U-shaped plan with projecting engine houses, rear connecting range and central chimney stack. Gothic Revival style. Each house of 2 storeys and attics with segmental headed entrances with nook shafts, foliage capitals and hoodmoulds with globular leaf stops. 2-leaf studded wooden doors part-glazed. Windows are 3 and 4-light cross-mullions with Caernarvon and Tudor-arched heads. Plate glass casements. 11 steps up to each entrance with moulded copings to side walls. Flush quoins, gables with kneelers and ball finials to apex. Interior. Huge cast iron beams in each house with intersecting tracery and trefoil-panelled piers with lotus-type capitals. (Information sheet from Bristol Waterworks Company, June 1973).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.