You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 339328  

Print Page

© Mr Nigel Wood

IoE Number: 339328
Photographer: Mr Nigel Wood
Date Photographed: 06 June 2006
Date listed: 19 July 1988
Date of last amendment: 19 July 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOWERBY BRIDGEROCHDALE ROADSE 0422 and SE 0522(west side) ,Triangle15/201Nos 190 (Porter Lodge) and

SOWERBY BRIDGE ROCHDALE ROAD SE 0422 and SE 0522 (west side) , Triangle 15/201 Nos 190 (Porter Lodge) and No 192 with attached railings and gate piers. - GV II Pair of gate lodges with gateway to Field House. Dated '1749 rebuilt 1874'. Ashlar, Welsh slate roofs, cast-iron railings. Single-storey, 3 x 1 bay lodges, gable-on to road, flank gate piers with side railings linking them to lodges. Piers, square in section, each have a plinth with moulded top, shaft with fluted band and festoon frieze to each face, moulded cornice, urn on coved corniced fluted base and with swags and flame finial. The railings have curved tops, spiked bars and urn-finialed standards. The lodges, originally identical, each have to inner 3-bay elevation: central pedimented bay set forward flanked by pilasters and having 4-panel door with overlight in architrave with dated frieze and cornice; 4-pane sashes in similar architraves; entablature with fluted frieze and dentil cornice; oculus in pediment containing white glass with lion's head and flanked by leaf scrolls; hipped roof; stepped dentil-corniced stack to rear of roadside bay and other end. Rear of each lodge has central pediment with arched light flanked by square lights and with deep moulded cornice. Roadside return of each has: plinth, raised central panel with 4-pane sash in architrave with frieze and cornice; entablature returned from inner elevation and pediment with lion crest and motto 'Know Thyself'. The gate piers are identical to those approximately 70 metres to east of Field House, Dean Lane (qv).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.