You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 339356  

Print Page



© Mr Robert W Mawer

IoE Number: 339356
Location: ROW END, SOWERBY LANE (east side)
  HALIFAX, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Robert W Mawer
Date Photographed: 11 October 1999
Date listed: 15 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 19 July 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOWERBY BRIDGESOWERBY LANESE 0224 & SE 0324(east side),8/228Luddenden Foot15.11.66Raw End Farmhouse

SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY LANE SE 0224 & SE 0324 (east side), 8/228 Luddenden Foot 15.11.66 Raw End Farmhouse (formerly listed as Row End, Luddenden Foot) GV II House. Dated "I 1627 H". Large blocks of coursed, dressed stone; stone slate roof. Through-passage plan. 2 storeys, 4 bays, with partial rear outshut. South (garden) front: plinth. Double-chamfered mullion windows, on ground floor (from left to right) of 5 lights, 6 lights, 2 lights, Tudor- arched, chamfered, quoined doorway with datestone over, 2 lights, 3 lights, 2 lights, all under continuous dripmould rising over datestone. On 1st floor, windows of 5 lights, 5 lights, single arched light with sunk spandrels and archivolt dated 1839, 6 lights with king mullion. Coping with bases of finials. Shouldered and corniced end and ridge stacks, that to left end rebuilt. Rear: blocked doorway on left, now with window. Chamfered, quoined, Tudor-arched doorway to through-passage with small chamfered light above. 4-light chamfered window with 6-, now 3-light window above. Outshut on right extended to left c1985 with Tudor-arched doorway. Left return: arched light with sunk spandrels to 1st floor, right. Right return: 3-light chamfered mullion window to 1st floor, right. Interior: central room (housebody) has large-scantling stop-chamfefldd spine beams and joists, all with grooved moulding; fireplace inserted in inglenook has stone surround and deep chamfered lintel with rounded corners to soffit. Left-hand room has chamfered spine beam, groove-moulded joists, and stone fireplace, the lintel with central triangular chamfer. Right-hand room has replica fireplace and beams. Barrel-vaulted cellar. Some stone stairs survive under modern staircase. Left-hand room on lst floor has tie-beam with continuous mortice in soffit indicating position of former partition wall. One king-post truss visible in roof at right end, with 'V' struts to heavy-scantling, trenched, chamfered purlins; diamond-set ridge-piece.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.