You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 34034  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 34034
Location: CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH,
  WRINGTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 July 2000
Date listed: 29 August 1989
Date of last amendment: 29 August 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 46 SEWRINGTONREDHILL5/161Church of Christ ChurchII

ST 46 SE WRINGTON REDHILL 5/161 Church of Christ Church II Anglican Parish Church. 1844, by James Wilson. Squared lias over ashlar plinth and limestone dressings, Welsh slate roof. Wide nave, shallow chancel, west tower, south porch, organ chamber and vestry to north. In a simple early English style with lancets under hoods; nave, south, 1 + 3 windows, diagonal buttresses to corners, square between windows, all to 2 offsets; gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, inner plank doors. Chancel has single light south, stepped triplet east, 2 singles north, diagonal buttresses. Crenellated flat-roofed organ chamber, lancet east and west, plank door in pointed double chamfer surround)north, then 3 nave lancets, but no intermediate buttresses; diagonal buttress to corner. Tower in 2 stages plus crenellation. Blocked doorway to west lancet at first level and paired lancets to bell stage over moulded string, surmounted by crenellations over moulded string. Interior: very simple unaisled space, colour-washed, plain reveals to lancets; 2 arch arcade to organ chamber, double chamfer arches on octagonal columns. Fire-bay arch-braced queen post trusses with turned dropped finials, carried on corbels to north side only. Simple chamfer arch to tower; single chamfer arch on slender responds to stiff-leaf capitals. Plain boarded pitched ceiling to chancel. South side of chancel has 1874 memorial window; east windows signed A K Nicholson, London, 1931, to Mary Monica Cunliffe Wills. Stone altar table; Jacobean oak altar table in nave and Jacobean parish chest. Tiled floors to chancel and tower, otherwise wood block. Simple late C19 pews. Good brass lectern. Complex font with 8 attached colonnettes. All very basic and clinical (Pevsner, N Somerset and Bristol; 1958)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.