You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 35028  

Print Page



©  Lorna Freeman

IoE Number: 35028
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH (east side)
  FILTON, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Lorna Freeman
Date Photographed: 22 March 2007
Date listed: 03 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 03 March 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 67 NWFILTONGLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH (east side)4/1Church of St. Peter3.3.61-II

ST 67 NW FILTON GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH (east side) 4/1 Church of St. Peter 3.3.61 - II Anglican Parish Church. Circa 1340, mainly rebuilt in 1845 by Hicks, much extended and further altered, 1961, by Taylor and Dickin. Rubble, brought to courses in tower, elsewhere snecked, freestone dressings, slate and copper roofs, raised coped verges with saddlestones; random rubble, concrete dressings, copper roof in northern extension. West tower, nave, chancel (now Lady Chapel), south aisle and porch; northern extension contains new nave and chancel. West Tower, the only remaining mediaeval fabric, strengthened and altered in 1961, has 2 stages; first stage has a plain entrance inserted 1961 below a 3-light Decorated west window; second stage has 2 single cusped lights on each face, the larger ones above, to bell chamber, have louvres; gargoyles carry the thin remains of the parapet; there is a copper clad hexagonal spike (also of 1961). The windows of the body of the church of 1845 are mainly Decorated. The gabled nave is no longer visible; gabled chancel has weathered diagonal buttresses, 3-light east window under drip with head stops, a pair of cusped lights to north and south and a blocked priest's door; gabled south aisle of 3 narrow bays, buttressed as chancel, has 2-light windows, those at east and west under drips; gabled south porch with chamfered pointed arch; 5-bay C.20 nave and chancel added as northern wing, pointed windows with mullions and transoms, low pitch roof behind parapet. Interior: roofs of nave and chancel of 1845 are arch braced and stand on large, well-carved, figurative corbels. (D. Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.