You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 350520  

Print Page



© Mr Thomas S. Bolton

IoE Number: 350520
Location: WINDMILL NORTH WEST OF COLLEGE OF ST CUTHBERT,
  ESH, DERWENTSIDE, DURHAM
Photographer: Mr Thomas S. Bolton
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 17 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ESHUSHAWNZ 214314/14Windmill north-west of17.1.67College of St Cuthbert(formerly listed as

ESH USHAW NZ 2143 14/14 Windmill north-west of 17.1.67 College of St Cuthbert (formerly listed as Old Mill in grounds of Ushaw College) GV II Windmill. 1817. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Wide tapered tower, surviving to 2 storeys high. Flat stone lintels over boarded doors and boarded openings; beam-holes at gallery level; first-floor openings truncated at lintel level. Built shortly after the college was founded in order to provide unadulterated flour, and at the personal expense of John Gillow. Source: David Milburn, A History of Ushaw College, Durham 1964, p.119.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.