You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 35085  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Merrett

IoE Number: 35085
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  WINTERBOURNE, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Merrett
Date Photographed: 16 March 2004
Date listed: 03 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 03 March 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 68 SWWINTERBOURNECHURCH LANE (west side),Winterbourne1/293.3.61 Church of St. MichaelG.V.

ST 68 SW WINTERBOURNE CHURCH LANE (west side), Winterbourne 1/29 3.3.61 Church of St. Michael G.V. I Anglican Parish Church. C12, mainly C13 and C14, mid - late C19 extension and restoration. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate and concrete double roman tile roofs, raised coped verges with saddlestones. Chancel, nave, south transeptal tower, south porch, south organ chamber, north aisle, north chapel, north vestry. Mainly Decorated. Chancel from C12 has pilaster buttresses and a round-headed priest's door, chamfered around a keel moulding, good plank door with fish-tail bands; 2-light window at south, similar at north under corbelled tabelling, roof and east end raised (1856) for insertion of tall 3-lancet window; 4 bay gabled nave with tall 4 light west window (rebuilt 1843), 2-light windows at south, one literally squeezed between porch and tower; gabled south porch diagonal buttresses, chamfered pointed arch, single light above, 2 cusped lights at east and west, within is door reset from west end, it stands between jamb shaftswith floreate capitals under a heavy rounded cinquefoil arch with a rounded drip; 3-stage south transeptal tower has weathered diagonal buttresses with cusped niches, first stage has 3-light south window and small single lights above, large west stair turret with lean-to roof, plain, shallow second stage with south clock, third stage has 2-light cusped mullion and transom windows to bell chamber, corner pilasters rise as panelled and crocketed finials with trefoil pierced parapet between, octagonal, ribbed ashlar spire of 1871 replaces one struck by lightning (part retained behind Hambrook House (q.v.)); south organ chamber of 1895, gabled, large weathered buttress; 4 bay buttressed and gabled north aisle, rebuilt 1843, 2-light windows above a pointed door with double chamfer and roll moulding, 3-light window at west; gabled north chapel has 2 light north window and 3-light east window; late C19 flat roof north vestry. Interior: chancel still shows rolled eaves string course, chancel arch has floreate capitals; nave has 8 bay rebuilt hammerbeam roof, tower arch has ½ engaged column with round caps below arch with hood mould, a piscine remains as do glazed squint and rood squint, east and west pointed tower arches and a similar massive rere-arch to south window, giant curved corbels above, cusped piscina at south east corner, remnants of wall paintings, chevrons to arch chamfers, foliage within, heraldry to window arch, roses on corbels; rebuilt 4-bay north aisle has roof as nave, shaft and hollow piers; north Manor chapel, restored circa 1880 has another mock mediaeval roof. Fittings: revedos of 1856 has carved Last Supper by Farmer; perpendicular stone pulpit of 1877; C17 font with hollow moulded octagonal stem and gadrooned bowl. Memorials: in wall of aisle, reset from former tower chapel in a cusped and crocketted niche is a reclining knight, cross-legged, his feet on a lion; Manor chapel contains C14 monuments to Richard (died 1355) and Isabel Bradeston and their son John (died 1372) and wife - fine reclining courtly figures; one similar unknown female figure; a good brass, probably another Bradeston of c.1370; a memorial of 1612, John Buck, Ionic columns and shields on a chest tomb, Corinthian columns and a frieze above; in the chancel a fine wall memorial, 1662, Amy Symer, marbled, aedicule with twisted Composite columns, open pediment with scallop, cherubim and early C19 tablets by O. Greenway and T. Paty; in tower an early Clg tablet with Christ ascending by Crinway. (Source: D. Verey : "Buildings of England : Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean" 1970).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.