© Mr Glyn Williams
TOXTETH UNITARIAN CHAPEL, PARK ROAD
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Glyn Williams
24 July 2004
28 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
28 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3687 PARK LANE
Anglican Chapel, then Presbyterian, now Unitarian.
Originally 1618, partly rebuilt 1774, porch 1841. Stone with
slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays with extension to north.
Round-headed windows have stone surrounds with impost
blocks. Western extension has bracketed eaves and gable.
Similar, smaller projecting bay has bracketed eaves and
gable; paired round- headed entrances with commemorative
plaque and 3 windows above. South facade has window with
sash with interlaced glazing bars over small porch. East
windows have external shutters. Small octagonal cupola to
south end has ogee headed louvred openings and button
finial. Interior has pulpit against east wall,box pews and
gallery on 3 sides. North and south galleries are C17 and
connecting one is C18. 2 box pews are dated 1650 and 1700.
The chancel, arch of the original building, which is
chamfered and pointed, survives. As a chapel which was
Nonconformist before 1660, and preserves an excellent set of
furnishings which were complete by a century later, this
chapel is of the highest importance. North and south
galleries are C17 and connecting one is C18.