You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 359399  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 359399
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAME'S PLACE
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 13 September 2002
Date listed: 19 June 1985
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 3589 SWST. JAMES' PLACEL859/1045Church of St.-James

SJ 3589 SW ST. JAMES' PLACE L8 59/1045 Church of St. - James G.V. II* Church. Nave and west tower, 1774-5, C.Bisbrowne. Chancel, 1900, H.Havelock Sutton. Brick with stone dressings. Nave of 5 bays with 2 tiers of windows. Sill bands and cornice with stone-coped brick parapet. Round-headed windows have flat architraves and impost blocks, the western windows are blocked (1984). 4-stage tower has sill bands, cornice and embattled brick parapet. Round-headed windows. The 3rd stage has 3-face clock above windows. Top stage has paired, louvred bell openings. West entrance has stucco flat architrave with decorated frieze and consoled cornice (now damaged 1984). Flanking porches probably c.1900. Chancel has organ chamber to north and vestry under lean-to-roofs. Triple round-headed lights and east window with round tracery. Interior has gallery on 3 sides on slender quatrefoil columns. Arch-braced collar roof has pendants and wall piers with some corbel heads. Round chancel arch and barrel vaulted chancel. Round-arched opening to organ chamber. Stained glass east window by H. Holiday 1881; other windows mostly broken and lower windows have inserted C20 louvres to lower halves (1984). Several wall tablets dating from 1790s to 1840s. Said to have C18 iron sword rest. The cast iron columns supporting the galleries are the earliest remaining example in Liverpool and one of the earliest examples in the country.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.