© Mr Patrick Norris
ST MICHAELS CHURCH, ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH ROAD
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Patrick Norris
30 June 2001
28 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
28 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3687 ST. MICHAELS
36/1066 St. Michaels
Church. 1814. J. Cragg and T. Rickman. Brick with much iron
detail and slate cladding. 6-bay nave with differing aisles
and clerestory. Short west tower with diagonal buttresses.
Short chancel with vestry to north and chapel to south.
Plinth has slate cladding in iron frame. 3-light windows
with iron Perpendicular tracery to aisles, clerestory and
tower. Tower also has paired 3-light bell openings. Arcaded
parapets to aisles clerestory and chancel, clerestory has
cron (or slate) cladding. Tower has arcaded embattled
parapet with pinnacles. Interior has 6-bay nave arcades with
iron quatrefoil columns and traceried spandrels. Open iron
trusses suppoirt the ceiling. North aisle wider than south
aisle and has organ in eastern bay and flat ceiling with
conical roof lights. South aisle has flat traceried
ceiling. Cusped panels under clerestory windows. Chancel
arch of 2 orders and pointed vault to chancel. Tower arch of
2 orders and gallery on 3 arches, with traceried panels.
Chancel east window has early Gothic revival stained glass.
One of the earliest and most thorough uses of industrial
materials in a major building. c. f. Church of St. George
Heyworth Street L5.