You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 359477  

Print Page



© Mr David Cross

IoE Number: 359477
Location: PALM HOUSE,
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr David Cross
Date Photographed: 09 January 2003
Date listed: 12 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 12 July 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 3787SEFTON PARKL1737/11Palm House

SJ 3787 SEFTON PARK L17 37/11 Palm House 12.7.66. G.V. II* Palm House. 1896.Mackenzie and Moncur. Octagonal. Iron frame on granite base, with totally glazed openings. Appears as a sequence of three domical roofs, one above the other. Clerestorey and lantern. Sides of 6 bays with 3 round-arched lights and colonnettes to each bay. Ornamental cresting above. Entrances to north, south east and west have porches, enclosed at sides, with barrel vaults and ornamental gates, some with animals or birds. Lantern has ball finial. Statue at each angle by Chavillaud of famous gardeners, explorers and scientists. Flanking north entrance: A. le Notre and J. Parkinson; east: Mercator and Capt. Cook ; south : Darwin and Linnaeus; west: Henry the Navigator and Columbus.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.