© Mr John Taylor
CHURCH OF SAINT AGNES, ULLET ROAD (north side)
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr John Taylor
22 November 2002
14 March 1975
Date of last amendment:
14 March 1975
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3788 ULLET ROAD
33/1246 Church of
Church, 1883-5. J. L. Pearson. Brick with stone dressings,
tile roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs,east and
west transepts (ritual west is actual south). Short chancel
with canted end and ambulatory, flanked by turrets. South
chapel. Aisles have 2-light plate tracery windows between
gabled buttresses, lancets to clerestory. West end has
angle buttresses framing three 2-light windows, entrance with
small buttresses between. Gallery above, with arcaded
balustrade and stepped 3 light window; gable cross.
Flanking porches under lean-to roofs arches of 2 orders to
both sides and cinquefoil windows. West transepts have
lancets and angle buttresses. East transepts have 4-light
windows. Lead fleche at east end of nave. Chancel has
lancets flanked by narrower blind lancets, with wall shafts.
South chapel has aisles and 3-light east window. Interior:
stone. 4-bay nave with arcades on round piers, corbelled
wall shafts, gallery and quadripartite vault (no ridge rib).
Porch at west end has 3 arches and gallery above. North
west transept is baptistry with marble font. North west
transept has octagonal organ loft on marble piers. North
and south chapels to west of east transepts. Chancel has
apsed end, arcading with arches paired under relieving arch
with roundel. Angels in spandrels, gallery and relief
panels of Adoration of the bands, statues of angels over.
Iron grilles to ambulatory. Low marble wall to chancel.
South chapel has south aisle and north aisle formed by
ambulatory. South transept has timber gallery. Good
stained glass, including windows by Kempe. "The noblest
Victorian church in Liverpool" (Pevsner).