© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
TOWN HALL, CASTLE STREET
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
13 September 2006
28 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3490 NW WATER STREET
SJ 3490 SW (north side)
48/1334 Town Hall
52/1334 (formerly listed
1749-54. John Wood the elder of Bath. Additions and
reconstruction 1789-97. James Wyatt and John Foster. The
dome added 1802, south portico 1811, interior completed
circa 1820. Stone with slate roof and lead dome. 2
storeys, 9 bays and 12-bay returns. Basement of rock faced
rustication. Ground floor rusticated with round-headed
windows in recessed reveals. All windows are sashed with
glazing bars. 3-bay centre loggia with round-arched
entrances, windows in returns with wrought iron screens.
Recessed door with fanlight and 3-panel doors with large
ornamental knockers. 1st floor has Corinthian pilastrade
with unfluted pilasters, central hexastyle portico with
unfluted Corinthian columns. Windows are round-headed on
angle pilasters with rectangular panels over, carved with
swags and wreaths. Carved panels between capitals of
pilastrade. Entablature and balustrade. High Street
facade: 1st 9 bays form symmetrical composition round 3-bay
centre with applied hexastyle portico. Central door with
iron overthrown and lamp. Last 3 bays have 1st floor niches
with blind bull's eyes over. Pilastrade has coupled
pilasters. Tall panelled parapet over entablature.
Exchange Flags facade of 5 bays has projecting 3-bay centre
with 1st floor open loggia of coupled columns. Centre
windows with architraves and pediments, bull's eyes over.
Side windows are tripartite, with colonnettes and responds,
carved panels over. Loggia surmounted by statues taken from
the Irish Houses of Parliament at Dublin. Tall parapet over
entablature. Exchange Street West facade similar to High
Street facade. Central dome on drum with large recessed
small paned windows behind colonnade with 4 projecting
aedicules. Balustrade with 4 clocks flanked by lions and
unicorns. Dome surmounted by figure of Britannia. Iron
area railings with lampstands.
Interior: see Pevsner "South Lancashire". One of the finest
surviving C18 town halls.