© Mr Frank Edge LRPS
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, WEST DERBY ROAD (south side)
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Frank Edge LRPS
29 May 2001
28 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
28 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 3892 WEST DERBY ROAD
21/1352 Church of
28.6.52 St. John Baptist
Church. 1868-70. G. F. Bodley. Cream stone with red stone
dressings and random banding, tile roofs, with slate roofs
to aisles. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west
tower, chancel and north chapel, south organ loft and
vestry, short passage leading to deatched vestry. Tower has
angle buttresses with gabled traceried panels. West
entrance and 3-light window above with intersecting tracery.
Top stage has 2-light louvred bell openings. Panelled
parapet with pinnacles and spire on octagonal drum with 41
gabled 2-light openings. Lean-to stair turret to south-east
angle. 5-bay nave has 2-light clerestory windows, and 3-
light nave windows between buttresses. One segmental pointed
window to north aisle and south gabled arch. Porch with
flat roof and parapet, and statue in niche over entrance.
North chapel has 2 paired 2-light windows with statue of St.
Mark in niche; 3-light east window. Chancel has 5-light
east window with intersecting tracery and 3-light south
window. Vestry has unusual fluted gutter spout. Detached
vestry has 2-light window to Green Lane and 2 square-headed
2-light windows flanking lateral stack to south; connecting
passage has timber continuous traceried window of 6 lights,
with entrance. Interior has arcades on octagonal piers.
Walls are richly stencilled above sill level,roofs are also
stencilled.Wall painted above chancel arch by Kempe (a rare
example). Fittings are all richly painted. Nave has
octagonal front or panelled base with marble shafts;
pyramidal cover and lectern. Tower now has chapel of the
Holy Rood; reredos, alter and credence table adapted from
rood screen, 1890, by Bodley, taken from Dunstable Priory.
Chancel screen has ribbed coving and loft parapet, chapels
have similar screens, south chapel in end of aisle has
screen behind reredos. Chancel has canopied stalls,
parclose screen to north, organ to south. Rich reredos.
Brass to Father Brockman, 1925. East and south windows by
Morris and Co. Vestry has painted ceiling, passage has
arch-braced cambered tie beams, detached vestry has cope-
chests. A fine example of Bodley's early work with a
remarkably complete interior, one of the finest examples of