You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 359770  

Print Page

© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 359770
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 06 January 2003
Date listed: 12 July 1966
Date of last amendment: 12 July 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 4088WOOLTON ROADL1635/1389Bishop Eton12.7.66Monastery

SJ 4088 WOOLTON ROAD L16 35/1389 Bishop Eton 12.7.66 Monastery G.V. II* Monastery with attached chapel. Monastery, 1858, E. W. Pugin with extensions of 1889. Chapel begun 1851, A.W.N. Pugin, completed, 1858, E. W. Pugin. Monastery of brick with stone dressings, slate mansard roof probably later. Original part of 2 storeys with attic and 9 bays, central 5 bays break forward. Band between floors and sill bands. Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars. Extension to right of 4 bays, 3 storeys, recessed end 2 bays of 2 storeys. Windows of 2 and 3 segmental-headed lights. 1st bay projects and forms base to tower. Weathering flanked by buttresses above the 2nd floor, then clock face in square stone surround with canopy and swept pyramidal roof with louvred bell stage. Chapel has nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, no clerestory, chancel is with transepts, that to north a chapel, and canted end. West window of 5 lights with Decorated tracery; flanking buttresses, that to south has canted inner angle for stair turret, 2-light segmental pointed windows to ends of aisle. West entrance of one over. Aisles have 2 segmental-headed 3-light windows, the western bays are gabled with hexagonal slates to roof and pointed 2-light windows. North transept has 3-light north window and east rose window. Chancel has 5 cusped lights. Interior of chapel: 3-bay nave arcade on round columns with good carved capitals; hoodmould with stops in form of evangelists' symbols. Waggon roof on angel corbels. Aisle windows in recesses, those to south with confessionals. Chancel and chapel have stencilled panelling; arch between them. On south side of chancel 3 segmental pointed openings, the central one on entrance to monks' seating area; 3-bay triforium of 2-light pointed openings, now glazed. Elaborate reredos and alters, that to chancel brought forward. Chapel has silver sanctuary lamps in form of ships. C19 stained glass, some by Hardman, west window by Kempe.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.