You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 359795  

Print Page



© Mr Ronald May

IoE Number: 359795
Location: BROUGHTON HALL, YEW TREE LANE
  LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Mr Ronald May
Date Photographed: 09 August 2007
Date listed: 14 March 1975
Date of last amendment: 14 March 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: SJ 49 SW YEW TREE LANE L12 5/1417 Broughton Hall 14.3.75 GV II The entry shall be amended to read: SJ 49 SW LIVERPOOL YEW TREE LANE L12 392-/5/1417 Broughton Hall 14.3.75 GV II* ------------------------------------ SJ 49 SW YEW TREE LANE L12 5/1417 Broughton Hall 14.3.75. G.V. II House, now used as a prep school by Convent of Mercy. c.1856. Rock-faced stone, steeply pitched slate roof. 2 storeys with basement, 7 bays with later 2-bay extension to right. 1st 7 bays symmetrical, with central bay breaking forward and end bays projecting, all under gables. Sill courses and embattled parapet. Windows are mullioned and transomed with pointed lights. 1st bay oriel with long bracket, traceried heads and embattled parapet. Central bay has enclosed porch with stepped gable and finial, octagonal turrets with buttresses and pinnacles. Tudor-arched entrance has 3-light window over. 1st floor window above porch with stepped gable and finial, octagonal turrets with buttresses and pinnacles. Tudor-arched entrance has 3-light window over. 1st floor window above porch of 4 stepped ogee-headed lights under relieving arch. Recessed bays have 2-light windows flanking lateral stacks. End basement are similar, with stepped parapet. Left return has conservatory, iron and glass, 7 x 7 bays with belvedere. Connecting bay to house and opposite 3-bay forward break with entrance. Elaborate decoration to columns and arched panels. Now has felt roof (1984).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.