You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 362546  

Print Page



© Mr John Brayford

IoE Number: 362546
Location: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE,
  CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Brayford
Date Photographed: 19 July 2004
Date listed: 17 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 17 November 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON C.P.CHAPEL CHORLTONSJ 83 NW10/12Church of St Lawrence

CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON C.P. CHAPEL CHORLTON SJ 83 NW 10/12 Church of St Lawrence 17/11/66 II Parish church. Medieval origins, entirely reconstructed in 1826-7 by James Trubshaw Junior. Sandstone ashlar (with especially large blocks below the plinth to nave and chancel), slate roof. Classical style; nave and chancel in one, west tower. Tower: the basic fabric is probably medieval (see the roll-moulded plinth and the tool marks on the masonry), but the windows, along with the buttresses, parapet with cornice and corner obelisks, are all of 1827; round-headed west window with raised keystone and imposts has cast-iron Y-tracery with transoms; above is a narrow rectangular slit (?medieval) and to the belfry stage 4 openings with plain Y-tracery and wooden louvres. Nave and chancel in one. The west wall on the south side (which protrudes slightly from the tower) appears to be medieval, but all the rest is Trubshaw's work; 5 bays, round-headed windows with tracery as in the west window; in the second bay from the west (south side) a plain pedimented doorway; the East window is different - a blocked tripartite opening with lunette above; moulded eaves cornice with obelisks at the corners and a small cross on a globular base to the east gable. Interior: round tower arch (1827) filled by organ. Good C17 pulpit with blank arches and rosettes above; some C17 woodwork is also incorporated in a prayer desk on the north side of the early C19 altar rails; tub-shaped font (C12?) on a late C19 base; all..the other fittings are of this latter or more recent date. Monuments: brass tablets on the north wall to Francis Carlose (died 1722) and Elizabeth Lander (died 1764). B.O.E., p.96.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.