You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 366573  

Print Page



© Mr Wilfred N. Winder

IoE Number: 366573
Location: REDOUBT, MAIN ROAD (south east side)
  HARWICH, TENDRING, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Wilfred N. Winder
Date Photographed: 22 June 2002
Date listed: 20 June 1972
Date of last amendment: 20 June 1972
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HARWICHTM2632SWMAIN ROAD609-1/3/95(South East side)

HARWICH TM2632SW MAIN ROAD 609-1/3/95 (South East side) 20/06/72 Redoubt GV II* Redoubt. 1808-1810. Of brick and granite. Circular plan form with internal courtyard and brick vaulted chambers. Circular dry moat and original drawbridge replaced by concrete span. Some original fittings including iron railings, hoist and lantern in magazine wall. Designed as bomb-proof fortification with effective artillery power to withstand lengthy siege. Remodelled in 1861 to same basic plan. Upper level contains batteries, originally for ten 24-pounder cannon, one of which dated 1865 has been excavated from moat. Moat revetment in brick.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.