You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 369260  

Print Page



©  Peter Fuller

IoE Number: 369260
Location: NEW RIVER HEAD REMAINS OF MILL BUILDING IN GROUNDS, ROSEBERY AVENUE (north side)
  ISLINGTON, ISLINGTON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Peter Fuller
Date Photographed: 22 June 2001
Date listed: 29 December 1950
Date of last amendment: 29 December 1950
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTONTQ3182NWROSEBERY AVENUE635-1/68/738(North West side)

ISLINGTON TQ3182NW ROSEBERY AVENUE 635-1/68/738 (North West side) 29/12/50 New River Head: Remains of Mill building in grounds GV II Base of former windmill. At New River Head and formerly used as pumping house supplying water to the Upper Pond in Claremont Square, later used as repository called the Round House, now storeroom for Thames Water at rear of New River Head Office Building. c.1708, upper stages removed mid C18. Red stock brick set in English bond; wood shingle conical roof with projecting eaves. Circular in plan. One storey; originally of 3 stages; no windows. Blocked segmental arched doorway in north face. Entrance to west wall: iron strap hinges to pair of wood batten shutters. Metal plaque mounted above entrance inscribed: 'THE ROUND HOUSE/ REMAINS OF THE WINDMILL USED/ C1709-1720 TO PUMP/ WATER FROM THE ROUND POND TO THE UPPER POND/ (NOW CLAREMONT SQUARE RESERVOIR)'. A 1760 engraving exists showing the full-height windmill before the upper stages were removed. (Thames Water Plc with Sadler's Wells: New River Head (brochure): London: 1990-: ENGRAVING OF MILL).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.