You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 373694  

Print Page



© Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS

IoE Number: 373694
Location: MILL GREEN WINDMILL, MILL GREEN ROAD (south west side)
  INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX
Photographer: Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS
Date Photographed: 08 September 1999
Date listed: 20 December 1952
Date of last amendment: 09 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

373694

INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TL60SW MILL GREEN ROAD 723-1/2/426 (South West side) 20/12/52 Mill Green Windmill (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD MILLGREEN, Fryerning Fryerning Windmill) II* Post mill. 1759, rebuilt in 1959. By Robert Barker. For Lord Petre. On an earlier base and roundhouse. Roundhouse of red brick in Flemish bond externally, English bond internally, mostly painted, roofed with copper; body timber-framed and wholly weatherboarded. On a mound now in the back garden of a private house, Millhurst (not included). Circular roundhouse of one storey; rectangular body with slightly pointed breast, of 3 storeys. The brickwork of the roundhouse is 0.33m thick with 4 projecting piers which house the ends of the trestle; 2 boarded doors; conical roof. The body has in the lower storey 2 fixed multi-pane windows and a boarded door with a window; in the middle storey 2 fixed , windows and 2 hinged hatches; in the top storey one fixed window and a removable hatch. The roof is gabled with curved sides. 2 single-shuttered sails, 2 broken; shutters and striking gear missing. Ladder to body, and long tailpole. INTERIOR: within the roundhouse the post is chamfered with large scroll stops, with 'E.D. 1759' in paint; the struts of the trestle are chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. Both horizontal members are reduced with quarter-round mouldings, and both are scarfed, splayed and tabled with under-squinted butts and folding edge-wedges, strapped and bolted with iron. In the lower storey of the body are 2 sets of wooden tentering gear and 2 governors, meal bins and spouts; 'E.D. T.D. 1759' is punched on the post (the millers from 1753 to 1852 were called Dearman). In the middle storey are 2 sets of millstones, in head-and-tail layout, with tuns, horses, hoppers and shoes. An iron windshaft carries a clasp-arm wooden brakewheel and tailwheel, each with wooden stone nuts and quants; the brakewheel disintegrated in a gale in 1976, and a new one is being constructed at the time of inspection, May 1989. Machine drive shaft and pulleys, chain drive to sack hoist, striking gear, wooden brake lever, chutes. In the top storey are corn bins, sack hoist and pulleys, and the upper half of the brakewheel. HISTORICAL NOTE: shown in Chapman and Andre's map of 1777. Expenditure on repairs and equipment is recorded in the Petre archives from 1802-1903 (Essex Record Office). Structurally the mill was rebuilt in 1959 for the then owner RF Collinson; the machinery was carefully preserved and is mostly original. There are no grounds for describing this as Fryerning Windmill, as in the 1976 list; the site has always been in the historical parish of Ingatestone, and it is documented in the Petre archives relating to Ingatestone parish. This is the most complete example of a post mill with head-and-tail layout in Essex. (Essex Record Office: D/DP A.90 A.91 A.141 A.145 A.376; Farries KG: Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights: 1982-: 15-28; Farries KG: Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights: 1985-: 58-9).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.