You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378823  

Print Page



© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 378823
Location: 1-9 ALBEMARLE ROW (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5672NE ALBEMARLE ROW, Hotwells 901-1/13/1417 (North West side) 08/01/59 Nos.2-9 (Consecutive) and attached front basement area railings and piers (Formerly Listed as: ALBEMARLE ROW (North West side) Nos.1-9 (Consecutive)) GV II* Terrace of 8 houses. Dated 1763. Probably by Thomas Paty. For John Webb. Brick with limestone dressings, party wall stacks and pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range, Nos 6 & 7 of 3 windows. A partially composed terrace that steps irregularly down the hill, articulated by rusticated pilaster strips to a cornice broken over the pilasters, and parapet; No.5 has the middle 3 windows set forward under a pediment with rusticated quoins, and Webb's monogram with 1762 in the tympanum. Central doorways have console pediments over Gibbs surrounds with split keys and angled outer voussoirs, some with rectangular overlights with pointed-arched panes, and 6-panel doors; No.5 has a raised lozenge to the lower part. Nos 6 & 7 have right-hand doorways and, with No.4, have console pediments and plain architraves. No.8 shares a 5-window front with No.9, formerly entered from the right return. 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes, with thick bars to No.5, and cambered heads to the basement; hipped dormers. INTERIOR: No.8, large entrance hall divided by an elliptical arch with fluted pilasters from a fine rear open-well stair with wide curtail, column-on-vase balusters 3 per tread, ramped, moulded rail and matching wainscot; modillion cornice, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. No.4 has an open dogleg stair with uncut string, column balusters and moulded rail. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: good attached wrought-iron railings with urn finials and capped piers, Nos 4-7 have scrolled panels to the middle and to the gates, and scrolled brackets beside the doorway to No.5. '...Bristol's first full-blooded attempt at a terrace conceived as a palace facade...', (Gomme) although the N side of Dowry Square (1748) had an accentuated centrepiece. Built as lodging houses for visitors to the hot wells. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 201; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 198).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.