You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378827  

Print Page



© Mr Phil Draper

IoE Number: 378827
Location: CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, ALL HALLOWS ROAD (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Phil Draper
Date Photographed: 23 June 2001
Date listed: 28 February 1980
Date of last amendment: 28 February 1980
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST67SWALL HALLOWS ROAD, Easton901-1/56/1239(East side)

BRISTOL ST67SW ALL HALLOWS ROAD, Easton 901-1/56/1239 (East side) 28/02/80 Church of All Hallows II Anglican church. 1899. By Sir George Oatley. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, tile-hung W gable and tiled roof. Aisled nave, transept, apsidal chancel and ambulatory. Decorated Gothic Revival-style with French influences. Octagonal apse has a single-storey ambulatory, with single lancets and angle buttresses rising up through the sloping roof to the apse, which has 2-light 2-centred arched windows with late Decorated Gothic-style tracery and a roll-top coping to the parapet. NE one-bay vestry. Short, full-height N transept, flush with the N aisle, has paired gables and angle buttresses, and a sill band below two 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Incomplete 3-bay nave has a parapeted aisle with 2-centred arched windows, and paired clerestory windows above. Similar S elevation, with a 2-centred arched doorway to the left side of the transept. The W end is unfinished: angle buttresses to a shallow gable with roll-top coping and 3 narrow 2-light windows, with a tile-hung gable behind, and a brick single-storey coped narthex with three 3-light mullion windows, and ashlar doorways at each end with raised parapets and Tudor-arched doorways with ridged 2-leaf doors. INTERIOR: good chancel has ambulatory to sanctuary with trilobate shafts to steep 2-centre arches, separated by half shafts to a braced timber vault; similar shafts to tall apse and chancel arches, 2-bay choir has a raised floor surrounded by low walls, and paired arches to the transepts. Similar piers to steep nave arcade, hoods with head stops, and half shafts to a trussed roof. 4 segmental arches to W narthex. FITTINGS: octagonal timber pulpit to the left of the chancel arch with statues in canopied niches; Romanesque-style octagonal stone font in the narthex with waterleaf capitals; plain choir stalls; fine brass lantern. HISTORICAL NOTE: built for a High Church community, and the interior reflects their liturgical requirements, with an E end of '...an unmistakable concentration of emotional energy.' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 330; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 452).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.