You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378941  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 378941
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BELL HILL (south east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 27 June 2007
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 01 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST6175BELL HILL, Stapleton901-1/33/1938(South East side)

BRISTOL ST6175 BELL HILL, Stapleton 901-1/33/1938 (South East side) 01/11/66 Church of Holy Trinity GV II* Church. 1857. By John Norton. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and slate roof. Aisled nave and west tower. Decorated Gothic Revival style. Tall E window to chancel with reticulated tracery, angle buttresses with gablets and carved mythical animals, and octagonal shafts to crocketed pinnacles. Hemi-hexagonal vestry with sprocketed roof to the N, 3-window range to the S. Weathered coped gable with Celtic cross. 5-bay aisles separated by buttresses; 3-light windows, carved corbel table and open traceried parapet. Steep porch in second bay from W end, with an open lancet doorway with cluster responds, C20 E doorway, stone benches and encaustic tiles. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, splayed lancet W door with 3 orders and ball flowers, ogee hood with crockets and foliate finial and bishop's and king's head stops; 2-leaf door with traceried upper panels. 3-light first-floor windows, W clock with wooden hood on brackets, belfry lights with open tracery, corbel table and open traceried parapet, buttress pinnacles and gargoyles; stair tower in the corner with N aisle. Crocketed hexagonal broach spire with lucarnes and metal cross finial. INTERIOR: 3-bay chancel, open to the N organ chamber, with marble cluster columns and painted foliate capitals; alabaster reredos and marble floor; arched roof with moulded panels and angel corbels. 5-bay nave has piers with attached shafts and moulded capitals and hoods with foliate stops; moulded sill band beneath the aisle windows; arch-braced roof with wall posts to carved corbels in the nave, and cross-braced aisle roofs. W arch to narthex. FITTINGS: 3 rows of choir stalls in chancel with angel and poppy heads. Stone pulpit with ramped, curved steps. Alabaster font on brown marble shafts decorated with ogee arches and angels. Glass: S chancel window by Kempe 1887. The church commands a strong position and is considered one of the City's best Victorian churches. Norton was an influential local Ecclesiological architect, several of whose churches have been demolished. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 304; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.