© Ms Ruth Povey
COLSTON SCHOOL, FORMER BISHOP'S PALACE, BELL HILL (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
10 May 2004
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST6175 BELL HILL, Stapleton
901-1/33/1935 (South side)
08/01/59 Colston School, former Bishop's
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
Colston School (Main Block))
House, later bishop's palace, now school. c1725. Altered
1841-5 by Decimus Burton. Red brick with limestone dressings;
roof not visible. Georgian style. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys
and attic; 7-window range.
Symmetrical front in 3 sections separated by rusticated
pilasters, with a ground-floor plat band, cornice, and attic
course with coved coping. Large, solid porch with Doric
pilasters, entablature and blocking course; segmental-arched
doorway and overlight, and sashes with keyed architraves each
side. The central section has 3 windows, the middle one
taller, round-headed on the first floor and flat on the attic.
The remaining windows have keyed segmental heads, architraves
and bracketed cills, and 6/6-pane sashes with fine bars. The
right return is similar, of 5 sections and a doorway with
attached Doric shafts and an entablature with triglyphs.
INTERIOR: largely mid C19, details include a high central hall
leading to a lateral stair well, with a stone open-well stair
with cut string and smooth soffit, cast-iron balusters,
wreathed rail and curtail step; ground-floor rooms have
modillion cornices and coffered ceilings with roses, and
shutters with acanthus panelling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally called Stapleton House, it became
the residence of the Bishop of Bristol and Gloucester in 1840
following the burning of his Palace by the Cathedral in the
Reform Bill riots, and part of Colston's School in 1857.
(Bristol As It Was: Bristol's Suburbs Long Ago: Bristol: 255).