© Mr David Cemlyn
NUMBERS 1 TO 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 1-8 BERKELEY SQUARE (south west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr David Cemlyn
27 July 2001
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5773SE BERKELEY SQUARE
901-1/9/11 (South West side)
08/01/59 Nos.1-8 (Consecutive)
and attached railings and gates
Terrace of 8 houses. Begun 1787. By Thomas and William Paty.
Limestone ashlar facades and brick with limestone dressings to
sides and rear, with party wall stacks and slate mansard
roofs. Mid Georgian style.
Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A
stepped terrace articulated by giant pilasters to a cornice
and parapet, rusticated ground floor to a plat band, and a
first-floor sill band. Right-hand doorways have Doric
pilasters, triglyphs and pediments to fanlights and 6-panel
doors. Keys to ground-floor windows, plain above, with
6/6-pane sashes and 3/3 pane sashes on the second floor. Steps
down to the basement. No.1 has an entrance in the left return,
a 4-window range with a single-storey porch with a 6-panel
door and curved steps up. 5 stepped voussoirs to blind
windows, glazed to the left-hand side.
INTERIOR: good interiors with joinery and plasterwork. Details
include an entrance hall with a frieze and cornice and fluted
dado, to an elliptical arch with panelled reveals and moulded
archivolt; central lateral open-well stone dogleg stair with
wrought-iron balusters and a banded, ramped rail, lit by an
oval lantern with oculi each side, and plaster decoration;
marble fireplaces, panelled shutters and 6-panel mahogany
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron front basement area
railings and gates.
A widely used design of the Patys, and probably the same as
those originally on Park Street (qv). Forms the W side of the
square, which was planned to be open to the S.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 214; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 214).