You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379010  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 379010
Location: JOHN STREET
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 23 May 2006
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SEBROAD STREET, Centre901-1/11/528(North East side)

BRISTOL ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre 901-1/11/528 (North East side) 08/01/59 No.41 GV II* Attached house, now office. C17, largely refronted c1760, extended 1881 by JH Hirst. Brick with limestone dressings front, brick lateral stacks and pantile double-pile roof, timber-framed to the right-hand bay. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys and basement; 6-window range. 3 sections each set back to the right, with a plat band, cornice and parapet; 3:2:1 windows, the right-hand section with a C17 roof, refaced C19, with 2 windows on the ground-floor. Third doorway from left has a Gibbs surround and split key, 3-pane overlight, fluted transom and 6-panel door, the top 4 raised; 5 stepped voussoirs, deeper on the ground floor to the right 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-pane casements on the second floor, flush frames, reveals to the middle section, and a low plinth which rises into a semicircular-arched basement opening to the right of the door. The left-hand return is rendered with a brick attic and 2 lateral stacks, two 4/4-pane ground-floor sashes and a single 6/6-pane sash above and a small attic casement. By the front corner, a cast-iron street name inscribed JOHN STREET. INTERIOR: C17 roof with roughly-hewn trusses with trenched purlins, and wind braces to the rear. C18 entrance hall with panelled wainscot to a semicircular-arched doorway with pilasters and fanlight, central rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column balusters and newels, and moulded rail; a semicircular-arched vaulted passage to the rear from John Lane; second-floor front room has 2-panel cupboards flanking the fireplace with HL hinges; panelled shutters and doors. Connected internally to Merchant Tailor's Hall (qv). (Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 9).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.