You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379018  

Print Page



© Mrs Sheila Adams

IoE Number: 379018
Location: CHRIST CHURCH WITH ST EWEN, BROAD STREET (north east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mrs Sheila Adams
Date Photographed: 21 July 2002
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SEBROAD STREET, Centre901-1/11/535(North East side)

BRISTOL ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre 901-1/11/535 (North East side) 08/01/59 Christ Church with St Ewen GV II* Church. 1786-1791. By William Paty. Built by Thomas Paty and Sons. Entrance and refurbished interior by Henry Williams in 1883, restored 1973. Bath stone ashlar; roof not visible. W tower and nave. Baroque style. The E and N elevations are hidden; the S aisle has four 3-light round-arched windows with plain surrounds, from 1883. W tower is of 4 stages: a neo-Florentine portal with a round-headed doorway, an arch of oak leaf bundles inside pilasters, with a moulded archivolt with egg-and-dart moulding and rocaille decoration above; either side are reeded pilasters with Composite capitals, and clasping pilasters to the corners; entablature with a dentil architrave, decorated fret frieze and acanthus cornice below a segmental pediment containing the head of Christ; first-stage balcony beneath a pair of Roman Quarter Jacks striking bells, and a large clockface, below a cornice and segmental pediment on scrolled acanthus brackets; above this the tower is free-standing, and all 4 faces identical: stepped plinth to the third stage, beneath paired Ionic pilasters at the corners and beneath a projecting pediment; a central, recessed round-headed blind arch with rusticated blocks and an impost band; belfry with plinth and pairs of Corinthian pilasters to a modillion cornice, and a central, louvred, round arch; blocking course with large urns at the corners. 3-stage octagonal spire on a short plinth, divided by arcaded strips, each with a course of oculi on each face. INTERIOR: Classical triglyph reredos by F Bell, 1882; the original reredos, an elliptical pediment on Corinthian pilasters with gilded plaster decoration, is now the rood screen, with swan's-neck gates. 4-bay nave has elliptical arches with guilloche soffits on slender Corinthian columns; aisles the same height, the vaults carried on to scrolled acanthus corbels; Adam-style ceiling decoration. FITTINGS: restored 1791 octagonal timber pulpit with painted plaster cherub heads, back and and inlaid tester; communion table and wrought-iron rail 1792; the original font is now the lectern base. At the rear is the 1708 organ loft by Renatus Harris, above a balcony on 2 Corinthian columns with a frieze of cherubs, carved panelled front surmounted by angels with instruments. In the NW corner is a segmental arch to a bay containing a small octagonal font with dentils under the basin; a large bound oak chest with 3 locks. Memorials include wall plaques to Christopher Raymond d.1754, a draped stele on a slate background; Martha Leavis d.1750, a sarcophagus panel beneath a sarcophagus; Thomas Holmes d.1761, a sarcophagus below an obelisk with a seated figure holding an urn, signed Thomas Paty; William Baylis d.1788, an oval plaque on a black marble backing with a draped urn above; Frances Ireland d.1795, a black stele bearing an open marble book, signed by Wood; Hannah Hosier d.1830, a stele with inverted fire brands either side, and an urn above; Robert Watson d.1842, a rectangular plaque with an open quatrefoil above containing fleur-de-lys. The design is based on the church at Badminton, Gloucestershire and more loosely on St Martin-in-the-Fields. The Quarter Jacks came from the earlier church, 1728, by James Paty, and many of the memorials from St Ewen's (demolished). (Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-: 132).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.