You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379052  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 379052
Location: NUMBERS 32 TO 34 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT AREA CAST IRON RAILINGS, 32-44 CALEDONIA PLACE (south east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 April 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5673SE CALEDONIA PLACE, Clifton 901-1/7/707 (South East side) 08/01/59 Nos.32-44 (Consecutive) and attached front basement area cast-iron railings (Formerly Listed as: CALEDONIA PLACE Nos.32-44 (Consecutive)) GV II* Terrace of 13 houses. 1788. Probably by John Eveleigh. Altered 1922. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and slate mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A composed terrace originally with end and middle houses set forward with pediments, first-floor sill bands, and pediments over the central first-floor windows; articulated by pilaster strips to a cornice and parapet, and rusticated ground floor to a plat band. Outer doorways have panelled pilasters, entablature blocks with foliate medallions, open pediments, semicircular-arched doorways, Nos 32-37 with stellate fanlights, plate glass the rest, and 6-panel doors with upper 4 raised. Incised voussoirs and tall key to the ground-floor windows, with 6/6-pane and 3/6-pane second-floor sashes; 2 dormers. No.32 has had the pediment removed. The left-hand end pair rebuilt as one in 1922 to form a bank: ground-floor frieze of festoons and cornice carried round to the return, with a bowed porch with 2 pairs of Temple of the Winds capitals and a 2-leaf door, and in the return an arcade of 3 large semicircular-arched windows each with attached columns, moulded archivolts and volute keys, plinths and aprons with volutes to Greek key cills, a wide panel above, and 4 plain second-floor windows separated by a square panel with oak leaf wreath and monogram NUP 1922. Flaming urns to the corners. INTERIOR not inspected, but see Nos 1-13 The Mall (qv). SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front basement area railings and gates with bud heads. Forms an important group with the matching Nos 1-13 West Mall opposite (qv) and, with Nos 14-34 West Mall and 1-35 Caledonia Place (qv), a very good, and for Clifton uniquely formal, square. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 223).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.