You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379070  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Clark LRPS

IoE Number: 379070
Location: NORLAND HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, CANYNGE ROAD (south west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Peter Clark LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 July 2001
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5673NE CANYNGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/1/719 (South West side) 04/03/77 Norland House and attached walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: CANYNGE ROAD (West side) Norlond House) GV II* House. c1830. Probably by Charles Dyer. Extended 1878 by JH Hirst. Limestone ashlar, ridge stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys and basement; 7-window range. Originally a symmetrical 5-window house, extended to the left with a porch in the re-entrant. Banded basement to a plat band, the earlier block has recessed end sections with inset Greek Doric columns flanking ground-floor windows; the 3-window centre has end panels with incised Greek Key, fluted pilasters to the windows between, to an entablature with a string of metopes, and cornice. The band extends along the recessed left-hand block, as does the cornice and parapet. The large open porch has banded, recessed quadrant corners, Greek Doric columns between incised corners, to a cornice and parapet; the doorway has curved reveals, plate-glass overlight and 2-leaf 6-panel doors. Taller central ground-floor windows, those above with eared architraves and Greek Key panels above, outer first-floor windows have semicircular-arched heads and palmette panels above, all with aprons. Right-hand ground-floor window has a tented verandah with cast-iron railings; the entrance was formerly in the matching bay to the left. INTERIOR: a 1878 lobby with steps up, marble panels to the sides, and brown glazed panels of playing children. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached banded wall extends to the left to 2 pairs of banded, capped piers with incised decoration, separated by a carriage gateway with large timber gates. A flagged road leads to the former stables (not included). Strong stylistic links with houses by Charles Dyer on Litfield Place. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 266).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.