You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379139  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 379139
Location: MORTUARY CHAPEL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH CLOSE (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 October 1999
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5678NWCHURCH CLOSE, Henbury901-1/17/1325(West side)

BRISTOL ST5678NW CHURCH CLOSE, Henbury 901-1/17/1325 (West side) 04/03/77 Mortuary chapel in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary GV II Mortuary chapel. c1830. Squared coursed Lias with limestone dressings, stone rear stack and a slate roof. Early English Gothic Revival style. A small chapel with coped gables and parapet. 3 stepped lancets in the E end between clasping buttresses, with a quatrefoil in the steep gable; 3-bay N side of lancet windows, the middle one with a parapeted gable projecting slightly between buttresses; the S side has a central chimney breast to a decapitated octagonal stack; attached wall at the W end has a pointed doorway beneath a cornice and parapet. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Thomas Rickman was working on both the church and nearby village hall, in squared Lias, at this period, and may have designed the chapel too.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.