You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379146  

Print Page

© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 379146
Location: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH HILL (south side)
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 April 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST6270CHURCH HILL, Brislington901-1/49/452(South side)

BRISTOL ST6270 CHURCH HILL, Brislington 901-1/49/452 (South side) 08/01/59 Church of St Luke GV II* Church. C15, N arcade and aisle remodelled 1819, E end 1874 by B Ferrey. Coursed red and grey Pennant rubble with ashlar dressings and stone-coped slate roofs. Aisled nave with chapels flanking chancel, S porch and W tower. Perpendicular Gothic style. 3-light E window with cinquefoil heads and intersecting tracery. Offset diagonal buttresses to chancel and aisles. NE chapel has hoodmould over restored 3-light E window and label mould over 2-light cinquefoil-headed N window. SE chapel has a hoodmould over 3-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads. 4-bay N aisle with hoodmoulds over 3-light windows with cinquefoiled ogee heads; similar tall E window. S aisle, relatively unrestored, has C15 offset buttresses and moulded plinth; hoodmoulds over 3-light Perpendicular windows with cinquefoil heads and panel tracery. Plinth continues around C15 porch, with crocketed pinnacles surmounting clasped diagonal buttresses: late C19 doors set in pointed moulded arch with engaged shafts to inner order and crocketed ogee canopy to hoodmould; cross to moulded coping; tall C15 three-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads and restored jamb. Fine 3-stage W tower with string courses and diagonal offset buttresses surmounted by crocketed pinnacles: late C19 west door set in pointed moulded arch flanked by diagonally-set shafts with worn angels holding shields; crocketed ogee hood beneath 3-light window; second stage has hoodmould over 2-light W window and one-light N window, all cinquefoil headed; belfry has similar 2-light louvred windows and figures of a couple in hollow-chamfered ogee-headed niche to S; gargoyles to cornice beneath crenellated parapet with blind panel tracery and figures set in fine ogee-headed canopies; octagonal ashlar stair turret to the SE with a crocketed spire to the stair turret. Clock and weathercock. INTERIOR: late C19 Decorated reredos, piscina, sedilia and biblical texts in crocketed canopies flanking E window. Late C19 archway with engaged NE vestry; late C19 archway with ogee tracery and C15 archway with panelled east intrados and inner arch of 3 orders with bell capitals to engaged shafts to S chapel. 5-bay nave of pointed arches, with piers having 4 attached shafts to bell capitals. Arch-braced roof to the nave and the S aisle, the latter bearing on corbels to the arcade. FITTINGS: square font on cushion capital and thick, round shaft. Octagonal oak Jacobean pulpit, with classical panels. C19 square-ended pews and choir stalls. MEMORIALS: tomb slab to Thomas Newman, d.1542, wall plaques to George Braikenridge, d.1856 and his family, and 3 urn plaques to the Ireland family from 1805. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 65; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 464).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.