© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
HENBURY SCHOOL, CHURCH LANE
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
13 October 1999
20 March 1974
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5678NW CHURCH LANE, Henbury
901-1/17/1337 (East side)
20/03/74 Village Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
School, now village hall. 1830. By Thomas Rickman. Squared,
coursed Lias with limestone dressings and slate roof. Central
hall with cross-wing at each end. Tudor Revival style. 2
storeys; 3-window range. Central Tudor-arched door in label
mould with a ribbed door, beneath a panel inscribed FOUNDED
1624/ BY ANTHONY EDMONDS/ REBUILT 1830; paired lancet
left-hand windows in a label mould, and similar single-light
windows to the right; above the door is a shallow canted oriel
with ogee cinquefoil-headed lights and a crenellated parapet,
and a gabled dormer with a small chamfered window; octagonal
finials to the corners and to the dormer. INTERIOR: entrance
hall and flight of stairs to the right, with a hall behind.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Charity School stood on the site from
1601 until the current building replaced it.
(Hallen and Henbury Women's Institute: A Guide to Henbury:
Bristol: 1970-: 15).