You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379164  

Print Page



© Miss Janet Gibson

IoE Number: 379164
Location: BISHOPSWORTH MANOR AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Miss Janet Gibson
Date Photographed: 28 April 2002
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5768 CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsworth 901-1/50/411 (East side) 08/01/59 Bishopsworth Manor and attached walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD, Bishopswith Manor House) (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD, Bishopswith Walls and piers at the Manor House) II* House. c1720. Squared, coursed Lias rubble front with freestone dressings and rendered sides, ashlar stacks linked to form a square in the manner of Kings Weston, slate dormers and hipped mansard roof, inset to the rear with pantiles. Double-depth plan with central stairhall. Style strongly influenced by Vanbrugh's Baroque King's Weston, King's Weston Lane (qv). 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented central bay with pilaster quoins set forward, with a keyed elliptical-arched bolection-moulded doorway, and 8-panel door with interlace fanlight; over the door is a broken segmental pediment enclosing an urn, supported by acanthus leaf folded-scroll brackets; the window above has a keyed elliptical-arched head flanked by fluted pilasters; a first-floor string separates plate-glass sashes in flush bolection-moulded frames, under flat arches with keys, carved with grotesques on the ground floor; dentilled cornice and steep pediment, containing a square plaque with a round sunken panel. 2 wide, hipped dormers with 8/8 sashes, one pane high, with pineapple finials to dormers and pediment. Hipped mansard roof cut by rectangular indent at the back, below the central 4-sided chimney arcade which crowns the house in the manner of Kings Weston; the 2 middle stacks front and back are dummies, all 12 being linked by keyed, elliptical arches on imposts. INTERIOR: good open-well stair with triple column-on-vase balusters, fluted newels, the well lit by a 9/9 sash set in the indented rear bay, and a corniced ceiling with an oval moulding, a semicircular-arched 2-leaf glazed door from the top landing, plain, fielded panelling and shutters to the downstairs and main first-floor rooms, and internal sliding sashes between attic rooms. The cellar has a vaulted basement and freshwater cistern with a hand pump. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble garden walls, coped front wall to street, with 2 pairs of gate piers linked by ramped quadrant walls, the piers with moulded caps, Grecian urns to inner piers, pineapples to outer ones. A range of farm buildings (not included) has been converted and incorporated to the rear. Much of the joinery was renewed in the 1970s restoration under architect Peter Ware. A fine early Georgian house showing an interesting stylistic connection with King's Weston. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 115; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 463).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.