© Miss Janet Gibson
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Miss Janet Gibson
28 April 2002
04 March 1977
Date of last amendment:
04 March 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5768 CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsworth
901-1/50/412 (West side)
04/03/77 Church of St Peter
Church. 1842. By SC Fripp. Squared Lias rubble with limestone
ashlar dressings and a slate roof.
Apsidal chancel, crossing tower and aisled nave. Norman
Small, round-arched windows include a group of 3 in the E end
above a torus string and beneath a similar hoodmoulding, and a
weathered ovolo corbel table. Short, square chancel tower with
a pyramidal roof and a round ashlar staircase tower at the NE
corner with a beehive roof and a round-arched door at the
bottom. Clocks on N and S sides of tower, over a blind arcade
on the S side.
The N aisle of 3 bays separated by pilasters, beneath a
weathered corbel table and parapet. W porch has a coped gable
end with 3-window range, and E-facing door with a semicircular
arch, round responds with cushion capitals in a gabled
entrance, and 2-leaf door with strap hinges. SE porch below
the tower has a door with a shouldered lintel and single
light; S elevation as the N. The W end is 5 bays, 1:3:1
separated by buttresses, with higher middle lights with
beakhead stops to the hoods, and a small rose window flanked
by blind single lights under the apex. Celtic cross finial.
INTERIOR: stone Norman-style reredos and small piscina in the
apse, which is separated from the single-bay chancel by a
square section arch. Similar chancel arch, on carved
Romanesque corbels; organ loft to the N. 5-bay nave arcade of
round piers with semicircular pilaster strips on the sides,
cushion capitals and semicircular arches, springing from a
carved corbel at the chancel end and terminating in a respond
in the W wall. Braced queen-post nave roof, and plain aisle
trusses resting on the arcade pilaster strips. Fittings
include a stone Norman-style font. A fine example of the
Norman Revival of the 1840s, the style being carried through
to a good interior.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 296; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 463).