© Ms Ruth Povey
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CLARE ROAD (south side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
01 November 1966
Date of last amendment:
01 November 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST315874 CLARE ROAD, Cotham
901-1/35/1156 (South side)
01/11/66 Church of St Matthew
Church. 1833-5. By Thomas Rickman. Altered c1989. Pennant
rubble and limestone dressings, roof not visible. Aisled nave
and W tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style.
A large 6-light transomed window in the gabled E end, with
sill and hood drips, flanked by octagonal ashlar corner
turrets with trefoil-panelled crenellated parapets; 4-centred
arched ribbed aisle doors with narrow trefoiled one-light
windows. N aisle has 5 bays each with 3-light transomed
windows separated by thin buttresses, with an ashlar
crenellated parapet; the clerestory windows have 2 lights and
are blind below the transom, with a parapet above. Similar S
The W front has a central 4-stage tower with diagonal
buttresses and an octagonal SW stair turret, diminishing
sharply at weathered stages to a slender spirelet; 4-centred
door in a label with foliage to the spandrels, 2-light
2nd-stage transomed window, and round, blind panel to 3rd
stage; tall 2-light louvred belfry windows with transoms and
cinquefoil heads, cornice parapet and pinnacles; 4-centred
panelled doors to aisles, blocked to make a half-blind window
to the S.
INTERIOR: 4-bay arcade of thin, square-section chamfered
shafts to wide 4-centred arches; niches with corbelled bases
and crocketed ogee hoods and finials between the arches; flat,
panelled ceiling. A c1989 mezzanine has been inserted at the
height of the old galleries, with stairs up from the W, and
the bottoms of the columns enclosed; below are offices and
meeting rooms, services are held in the upper part.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 293).