You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379248  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 379248
Location: GOTHIC TOWER APPROXIMATELY 95 METRES SOUTH OF GOLDNEY HOUSE, CLIFTON HILL (south side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 17 September 2007
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton 901-1/14/784 (South side) 08/01/59 Gothic tower approximately 95 metres south of Goldney House (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON HILL (South side) Gothic Tower at Goldney House) GV II* Tower. 1764. Red sandstone rubble with limestone dressings, roof not visible. Gothick style. 4-stage round tower with thin drips and a crenellated parapet with square pyramidal pinnacles. 2-centred arched doorway with impost blocks, beneath a third-stage semicircular-arched window with open brickwork panel; upper stages have tall narrow windows with Y-tracery, with oculi between to the fourth stage. INTERIOR not inspected. Built by Thomas Goldney to house a steam engine to pump water for the grotto cascade (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 164).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.