© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
CLIFTON COLLEGE, GUTHRIE MEMORIAL CHAPEL, COLLEGE ROAD (north east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
11 April 2004
04 March 1977
Date of last amendment:
04 March 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5773NW COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton
901-1/2/830 (North East side)
04/03/77 Clifton College, Guthrie Memorial
Chapel. From 1866. By Charles Hansom. Enlarged 1909-10 by Sir
Charles Nicholson. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone
ashlar and dressings, copper-clad lantern and slate hipped
roof with bands of hexagonal slates.
Apse, chancel, octagonal nave and narthex. Decorated Gothic
Revival style. E and W ends C19 with central crenellated nave
An octagonal C19 apse has a plinth, parapet, and steep roof
with lead crockets and finial and decorative ridge tiles; C20
chapels each side have sloping parapets. 2-storey, 4-bay
crenellated sides of the C20 octagonal nave project at an
angle from the side elevations, with a ground-floor linking
screen wall over a vaulted cloister to the S; 2-light windows
with Decorated tracery.
Steep gabled C19 W end has 3 bays separated by buttresses,
each with 4 ground-floor lancets with columns and bell
capitals, and a string; above is a large rose window, and 3
round carved panels. Large octagonal lantern has wide
2-centred arched 5-light windows and a crenellated parapet
with corner pinnacles, clad in copper.
To NW is a 2-centred arched door in a 1-storey block linking
to a 2-stage octagonal tower, with a weathered course below
the belfry with louvred 1-light windows, pierced parapet with
gargoyles to weathered roof and spirelet with steep gabled
spire lights and weathered top. Projecting clock in timber
INTERIOR: reredos of triple lancets on columns with foliate
capitals and moulded hoods, rere arches to windows on banded
black marble columns, banded granite columns to painted roof,
and mosaic floor to altar; paired arches to side chapels,
which have outer triple arches to the roof on stout granite
columns and foliate capitals, and large angel corbels playing
instruments; octagonal nave has blind lower arches, plain
vault ribs to the lantern, which has figures in niches in the
angles. 3-bay narthex has 2-centred arched doorway with head
stops. FITTINGS: octagonal pulpit with steps up and a sounding
board, and pews to the sides facing in, with rear thrones
either side of the door with canopies over. Stained glass
includes knightly figures such as King Arthur and Sir Galahad
dating from the Boer War.
Nicholson left Hansom's E and W ends, dismantled the nave of
the chapel and superimposed 2 octagons upon it, '...a unique
design and one of outstanding merit.' (Gomme).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).