You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379323  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 379323
Location: CLIFTON COLLEGE, PERCIVAL BUILDINGS AND WILSON TOWER, GUTHRIE ROAD (south east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 August 2004
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5773NW COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/2/827 (North East side) 01/11/66 Clifton College, Percival Buildings and Wilson Tower (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton Clifton College Big School, School House and Wilson Tower) GV II Classrooms, library and tower. 1869. Tower of 1889, by Hansom and Bond. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone dressings and ashlar, ridge stacks and slate cross gabled roof. Single-depth plan, forming NW side of quadrangle. Collegiate Tudor Gothic Revival style, with Decorated Gothic Revival-style tracery. Percival Buildings are a 2 storeys; 9-window range. Cloistered ground floor with central gabled gatehouse, first-floor mullion windows with traceried heads, buttresses and crenellated parapets. Open 2-centre arches to vaulted cloister have attached columns and parapet; behind, first-floor flat-headed windows to a parapet. Central projecting gatehouse has diagonal buttresses to the ground floor, and 3 orders to 2-centre archway; attached corner columns to the first floor run into finials with dragons, a canted oriel with central cross window, parapet, and an ashlar gable with a blind 3-light panel and griffon finial. Flagged archway beneath has benches, to 9-window rear range with wide 2-centred arched ground-floor and 3-light first-floor windows, divided by buttresses. Right-hand Wilson Tower has 4 stages with large octagonal corner turrets divided by strings, that to SW with an ashlar top stage with a pyramidal roof with crockets. Wide 4-centre archway has a label with head stops; 2 storey canted oriel above on fan corbels, has 4-light windows, separated by a band of shields, and with a parapet with panel tracery; paired 2-light third-stage windows, below a cornice with gargoyles. INTERIOR: ground-floor classrooms with ceiling beams of corbels, first-floor full-length library has cusped principal rafters on octagonal aisle posts. Tower includes Council room with good Tudor-style fireplace, panelled walls, and a panelled ceiling and doors. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.