You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379331  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA

IoE Number: 379331
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY ON THE QUAY, COLSTON AVENUE (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
Date Photographed: 05 September 1999
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5873SE COLSTON AVENUE, Centre 901-1/11/554 (North side) 08/01/59 Church of St Mary-on-the-Quay (Formerly Listed as: COLSTON AVENUE Roman Catholic Church of St Mary-at-Quay) GV II* Catholic apostolic chapel, now Roman Catholic church. 1839-43. By RS Pope. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Cruciform plan with W sanctuary. Greek Revival style. Hexastyle portico of Greek Corinthian columns on a raised, vermiculated stylobate, with a dentil pediment inscribed on the entablature VIVAT CHRISTUS REX, and a distyle-in-antis inner porch reached by 2 converging flights of steps; a large doorway with battered, eared architrave and cornice, and plain doorways in the returns; lower, parapeted flanking blocks set back, and rusticated to the height of large, moulded blank recesses between paired Doric pilasters, with low doorways below; the rusticated walls break forward to the street, meeting short continuations of the stylobate. Pedimented transepts. N aisle 5 bays with tall narrow square-headed windows with glazing bars; similar S aisle. INTERIOR: top-lit chancel, with fluted and gilded columns to the back and 2 columns in antis to the front, chapel in the S transept, galleried N transept and panelled gallery on fluted cast-iron Doric shafts to the W, moulded doorways below the S windows along a 5-bay nave. The portico side doors give to stone steps up to the W gallery. C20 pews and lectern. HISTORICAL NOTE: Sold to the Catholics before completion because of financial problems. Forms a prominent element in the streetscape in Colston Avenue. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 241; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 62).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.