You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379353  

Print Page



©  Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB

IoE Number: 379353
Location: CHAPEL OF THE THREE KINGS OF COLOGNE, COLSTON STREET (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB
Date Photographed: 29 May 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SECOLSTON STREET901-1/11/75(East side)

BRISTOL ST5873SE COLSTON STREET 901-1/11/75 (East side) 08/01/59 Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne GV II* Chapel. 1504. Refaced and roofed 1861 by Foster and Wood, restored 1865, most of the carvings from then. Squared coursed limestone and Pennant rubble, with limestone dressings and tiled roof. Nave. Pennant W and S sides and upper section of N side: a roll-top coping to end gables and side parapets, with Tudor-arched windows; 4-light E window with panel tracery, hoodmould with diamond stops, single N window with intersecting tracery, and trace of an arched doorway at the right-hand end. The W gable has a doorway with panelled reveals and soffit to double doors, an ogee hood with crockets and finial, carved tympanum, and carved head stops. 3 statue niches above on carved bases, canted canopies with attached finials and pinnacles containing mid C20 statues; on the gable is a square bellcote with angle buttresses and a weathered ogee cap and finial. INTERIOR: canopied niches either side at the E end, and a Royal Arms above the entrance. C19 half panelling and pews. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 315; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 28).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.