You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379355  

Print Page

©  Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB

IoE Number: 379355
Photographer: Tony Byram LRPS DPAGB
Date Photographed: 29 May 2001
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 01 November 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5873SECOLSTON STREET901-1/11/86(West side)

BRISTOL ST5873SE COLSTON STREET 901-1/11/86 (West side) 01/11/66 The Colston Hall II Entrance and lobby to concert hall. 1867. By Foster and Wood. Rebuilt 1900. Rebuilt internally c1960 by J Nelson Meredith. Yellow brick with limestone, sandstone, teracotta and faience dressings, roof not visible. Rectangular open-plan lobby with stair to hall above. 2 storey; 7-bay range. A symmetrical front has a ground-floor arcade of semicircular arches with plinths to columns with acanthus capitals, alternate arches have rope mouldings, carved hoods, the blind outer arches contain windows with eared, segmental-arched architraves, with chamfered end responds and banded end sections to an impost band; inside is a matching arcade of square piers. A carved cornice of acanthus leaves above a blue faience leaf-pattern band. First-floor blind arcade has plinths to paired columns with foliate capitals and volutes, a full-width entablature band of relief panels, rope-moulded arches, hoods and arches of alternate yellow and brown brick. Top cornice has a Lombard frieze, faience and terracotta decoration, and a moulded glazed modillion cornice, and returns to the left. Alternate arches have c1960 relief panels of performing arts. INTERIOR: entrance hall with 2 aisles divided by 4-arch arcades on square piers. Two c1960 stair flights run up from the second and fourth arches to a first-floor front hall, with a central area 3x2 bays with a pointed-arched vault, and paired columns with enriched capitals to the cross passsage. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original Great Hall had a classical interior after St George's, Liverpool, with aisles, columns to an entablature, and coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling. It was reached by an Imperial stair from the entrance to the first-floor landing. The hall was burned down in 1898, rebuilt several times, burnt down again and rebuilt c1960. (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 48; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 372; City Buildings Series: Burrough T H B: Bristol: London: 1970-: 104).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.