© Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
THE EXCHANGE, ALL SAINTS LANE (south west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
05 September 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5873SE CORN STREET, Centre
901-1/11/578 (South East side)
08/01/59 The Exchange
Exchange, now offices and market. 1741-43. By John Wood the
Elder. Carving by Thomas Paty. The courtyard raised and roofed
1872 by EM Barry, current roof 1949.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, lateral stacks, hipped slate and
leaded roof, with C20 glazed roof to the market.
PLAN: single-depth rooms to 4 sides of a courtyard in a manner
typical of Continental exchanges from the medieval period.
EXTERIOR: the principal elevation is symmetrical with a
pedimented 3-window centre set forward, a rusticated ground
floor to a plat band, pedestal course to 3/4 Corinthian
columns to the centre and pilasters to the sides, to an
enriched entablature and modillion cornice, with balustrade
and dies and a parapet with good foliate urns to the centre
and sides of the parapet.
A semicircular-arched doorway has rusticated reveals and heavy
arched double doors with studs and cast-iron lion-head
knockers. Ground-floor windows have incised voussoirs,
first-floor windows have Corinthian pilaster jambs with
entablature and pediments, alternate triangular and segmental,
with a central Venetian window, and square second-floor
windows with eared architraves and central clock face of 1822;
6/6-pane and second-floor 3/3-pane sashes with thick bars.
Below the frieze is a band of well-detailed swag and festoon
to human and animal heads symbolising trade, and a Royal Coat
of Arms in the tympanum.
The returns have 15-window ranges, the 10 windows to the rear
enclosing the 2-storey courtyard, with Gibbs surrounds to the
3-storey front ends have outer window sections set back,
central first-floor pedimented windows, cornices to the rest,
with a good doorway to the front with oak leaf surround, long
consoles to a cornice, to double 6-panel doors and plate-glass
overlights; the rear courtyard has similar windows with
first-floor pediments to rear and fourth from the front; 6
doorways, with a semicircular arch in the rusticated section
to the back.
The rear elevation is symmetrical with a pedimented 3-window
centre and both ends set forward with leaded cyma domes,
semicircular ground-floor arches, with niches flanking the
central entrance, first-floor windows with aprons and
alternate triangular and segmental pediments, and plate-glass
sashes. 2 basement windows have 6/9-pane sashes beneath
The sides of the formerly open courtyard have aisles each side
with 5x5 bays on Corinthian columns to an entablature, with
mid C19 caryatids above between semicircular arches with
paterae in the soffits, head keys and the entablature above
broken forward; central pediments to the front and back have
City Arms. Pilasters to the sides of the courtyard to a frieze
with festoon and heads, niches between, and doorways to the
middle of each side with Corinthian pilasters to
semicircular-arched doorways with tympana with painted symbols
of Asia, Africa and America, and Bristol trade. A glazed roof
of 1949 added at the height of the entablature. Ashlar stacks
to the sides and ridges, the latter with pediment mouldings
and cartouches to the inner sides. Good cast-lead rainwater
hoppers with cartouches.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby with 3x3 bays, Corinthian columns and
pilasters to coffered beams with paterae, side and end
Venetian doorways on Corinthian pilasters, that to the end
with double half-glazed doors and coffered arch with head key;
the side doorways have architraves set within them with bead
and reel architraves, steps up to double 6-panel doors, and
To the right is an open-well stair with uncut string,
column-on-vase balusters and column newels, moulded ramped
rails; a matching stair to the left, and open-well stairs to
the rear each side.
The former tavern to the front right has wainscotting,
panelled shutters and doors, cornices, and fire surrounds with
fluted jambs, coved corbels and mantels. Segmental-arched
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wall lanterns with wrought-iron
brackets and flared glass lamps, 2 to the right and 1 to the
left return. Considered with King's Weston (qv) as the finest
C18 building in Bristol, and referring closely to Palladio's
published work. It was designed to have a court housing 600
people, 2 taverns in the front rooms, offices to the sides and
market accommodation at the back. Wood proposed a roof but was
turned down; EM Barry added the second floor to the courtyard
with the caryatids, from which a cast-iron glazed roof sprang,
in 1870-72; current roof dates from 1949.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 143; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 95; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 415).