You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379457  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 379457
Location: WESTERN HOUSE, COTHAM ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5873NW COTHAM ROAD, Cotham 901-1/4/1166 (North side) 01/11/66 Western House (Formerly Listed as: COTHAM ROAD (North side) University Board Office and No.1) GV II* Formerly known as: Western College COTHAM ROAD. Congregationalist college, now offices. 1905-6. By Henry Dare Bryan. Limestone ashlar, ashlar stacks and tiled roof with shingled lanterns. Butterfly plan with 3 linked single-depth blocks. Arts and Crafts style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 11-window range. A wide symmetrical front with angled wings to a central porch with flanking octagonal towers and a gabled hall behind. A keyed semicircular-arched doorway has Jacobean Doric columns with strapwork lower sections, a Doric entablature and 2-leaf oak doors. Above is a 4-light mullion window flanked by Jacobean-style pilasters to a pulvinated frieze and cornice, and tall parapet. The towers have a cornice with spouts on grotesque head corbels and an openwork parapet, with steep pyramidal shingle-hung roofs with lead finials. Behind is the hall gable with a small 3-light window, and a large shingle-hung louvred ridge topped by an octagonal one with a weather vane. Ground-floor stone mullion and 2 transom leaded casements, with 6-light widows either side of the porch, and 9-light windows in the wings; one window in from the ends are wide canted bays that extend up through the overhanging eaves, with a central 9-light window on both floors, to a parapet and a tile-hung dormer; on the ridge behind are small lanterns. The end gables have octagonal clasping buttresses with barleysugar tops and ball finials, large external stacks with tiled bases to 3 diagonally-set stacks, small panels carved with an open book, and lion-head gutter spouts. The rear gable of the hall has a large mullion and transom window. INTERIOR: fine and complete, a full-height aisled central hall with a timber gallery on elliptical arches and carved Doric columns, to a semicircular vaulted roof with vine-carved ribs; 3/4 panelled wainscotting throughout, with good doorcases to the rear of the hall with fluted pilasters to a segmental pediment; stair hall to the left has an open-well stair with a pulvinated uncut string, strapwork carving, turned balusters and square newels, and a panelled ceiling; the Common Room has a wide Tudor arch with stopped jambs above a small Tudor-arched fireplace, and a fitted dresser with a dentil cornice; Tudor-arched fireplaces in other rooms; 1/2-glazed doors; the service block to the rear has 2 built-in dressers, a tiled pantry and a 'Gradient' range. A fine example in this style by a distinguished local architect, and considered to be Bristol's best Arts and Crafts building. (The Builder: 1905-: 276; Gray A S: Edwardian Architecture: London: 1985-: 126).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.